It seems like it's been a good weekend for everyone, relatively speaking! I had an interesting weekend, to say at the least. Figured some things out about myself, others, society, and most importantly, friends.
We left for the debate tournament right after 7th period on Friday (upset that I never got to see C or Ames or L :/) and headed out for Highland Park. The Nut and I had some particularly stimulating conversation and it was so nice to spend so much time with her. I really enjoy her company because we're almost the same person. We've already decided that if it wasn't for our damn heterosexuality, we'd be dating by this point! I feel really comfortable around her and she brings a fresh perspective because she hangs out with a different set of people than I do, though I think by this point we're both sort of integrated into both groups to a certain extent, but more on that later.
The tournament itself. Holy shit.
Think if C-SPAN was 16 and 17 year olds. It was like being thrown among a crowd of adolescent politicians. Some people were incredibly hilarious and others were synthetic to the point of disgust. As nice as they were, I wasn't sure if it was because they actually wanted to get to know me or if they just wanted my vote, or both! I couldn't stand it, but it was amusing to watch because in the end I voted for the innocent freshman boy who really deserved the award.
My chamber was a little dramatic, I must say, but the people weren't too terrible. We had 3 seniors, a few juniors, and everyone else was an underclassman. Sophomore domination for sure, but they were pretty cool. Again, the synthetic values shone brightly through a few (B.Karp is absolutely the most obnoxious person I've ever met ohmyfuckinggod). But all in all, I didn't feel uncomfortable giving speeches to them because I didn't feel their judgement stinging. I have no issues with strangers, it's the people who are closest to me that make me nervous. So in a way, I was thankful that I was the lone NNHS student in my chamber.
1st session felt unbearably long, but I did speak, my first ever speech. When I got my scores back, I got 4s from both judges, which is apparently excellent. I got 5s on my delivery, which astounded Yasha, and even the Saint told me he was very impressed and wanted me to stay on the team. The judges put smileys on my paper and told me for a first speech, they thought I showed a lot of potential.
I'm extremely proud of myself :) (even if I dgafed the rest of the tournament and asked shit questions and gave shit speeches heheheh)
The Saint and Tony were both in Tournament of Champions and the Saint made TOC finals (which is like a national thing and super impressive) but ultimately he didn't make the top 6 which really disappointed him. I realized just exactly how much winning means to him, it was like Health class all over again when I did better than him on the final thereby getting a higher grade in the class than him as well. Deja vu, no?
The second day of the tournament was almost like death. I had to wake up at 5:30 after reading over the research and going to bed at 12 the night before. We took the hour long ride back to Highland and went almost immediately back into our chambers, which was upsetting because I didn't get to talk to friends. I didn't speak second session, but our Presiding Officer was a complete and total douchebag so I felt justified in not giving him full participation. Like fuck him alright? He was stupid.
I did ask some hilarious dgaf questions during the legalize marijuana legislation, which was the best part of the tourney hehehehe. Bringing up pot brownies with a bunch of lame-ass debaters is just fantastic.
Third session, my PO looked like Bruno Mars and was one of the few tolerable people in the room, so I spoke, for the heck of it. Tournament awards, talked to BB Mannis, got rude remarks from a sad Saint, and then proceeded to Matteo's party.
I GOT INVITED TO MATTEO'S PARTY GUYS I'M SO IN.
I did have 2 classes with him last semester, and 1 again this semester, and also I think of all the plusser people, him and Sam are the only ones who go to school to learn and not just to get 5s on their AP exams (though they do because they actually give a fuck about the material.)
The party was interesting. I had terrifying period cramps, was super duper horny and kept having weird thoughts about Joe and LP, and was super hormonal the whole night that every little tiny snub set me off on edge.
I also felt extremely ugly because my hair was greasy and I had ran out of tampons and had to use a maxi pad which made my crotch feel wet and gross.
TMI? I'M STILL ON MY PERIOD I CAN'T EVEN MY BODY IS TRYING TO TEST MY PAIN TOLERANCE KAHSLF;AH F ASLDFJAS;H WHYYYYYY
Anywho, the party was still fun. I actually had a really good time because of the Nut and Melleh, and I like Matteo and got to hug him before I left, yay! Plus Richard has a Tumblr, following him now. So good. Love Tumblr boys.
All in all, it was a super productive weekend and I actually felt super good about the whole thing. I like North's debate team because everyone is so accepting and hilarious and lame in the cool way that makes you unashamed to just throw your head back and laugh at everything. No self-consciousness at all! They're genuine and they love with their whole being, and it fills me up. I love my debate team very very much.
Mona
No comments:
Post a Comment